about AO : case studies
california department of social services (CDSS)
Applied Office was brought to CDSS by Training Director Carol Smith following a department-wide rollout of an upgraded version of Microsoft Outlook. CDSS wished to improve its employees' knowledge of this program vital to electronic communications within the department. Objectives for this project included:
- increase the knowledge of attendees on Microsoft Outlook
- provide a number of scheduled classes ranging from soft-skills such as email "netiquette" to technical skills including email management, task tracking, and calendar sharing
- create and provide reference handouts for attendees
- follow-up support for attendees who have additional questions pertaining to the subject matter
A variety of lecture-based classes were offered to the staff of CDSS between June 2006 and February 2007, empowering employees to register to the classes they felt they needed. A sampling of classes included:
- Outlook Basics - This beginning class on Microsoft Outlook covered basic skills and software features including the inbox, calendar, contacts, and tasks. Attendees were shown how to create a simple email, use the address book, set up appointments, set reminder alerts for important items, set a vacation message, and more.
- Effective Emails and Netiquette - This class on composing and responding to email helped attendees create emails that convey their message across with tact and efficiency. Topics included the use of formatting, confidentiality and sensitive issues, and some technical issues including the "proper" way to attach files using network shares.
- Outlook Scheduling for Administrative Assistants - This special class was created for administrative assistance to address their needs as they relate to being delegates for someone else's inbox or calendar. Attendees learned how to access their manager's email and calendar, create and edit appointments, send emails on their behalf, and more.
For all classes, attendees received materials created by Applied Office to be used for future reference, and were invited to email or call the instructor if they had further questions.
"You're a pleasure to work with. I've heard lots of good feedback from the attendees."
Dennis Smith, CDSS Trainer
Representatives from CDSS, from the training coordinators to actual participants, have consistently praised Applied Office's services. Comments referred to Applied Office's professionalism, flexibility, software knowledge, and helpful materials.
The success of this series of classes has led to additional classes being scheduled for additional Microsoft Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Since June 2006, Applied Office has provided 34 hours of On-Site Training.
In October 2007, Applied Office was selected to provide hands-on training to all CDSS PCA (Help Desk) employees for the launch of Office 2007.